By setting goals and objectives you will have some sign posts to guide your social media efforts and some benchmarks to measure your efforts against. You need to work out what you are trying to achieve by using social media. Is it more listeners? Awareness raising about a particular issue? Increased traffic to your website?
Some common reasons why a community radio station participates in social media is to:
- Increase listener and membership numbers
- Enhance the experience of existing listeners
- Find out more about listeners
- Promote radio station events
- List your top 3 goals for your social media strategy – there is no point doing it unless you are trying to achieve something
- Make your goals SMART – specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time based
- It’s important that everyone contributing to your social media activities understand your goals and objectives – are the people posting on the station’s behalf working towards the same goals with the social media profile? While the voices are individual, the goals should be the same.
- How to Develop a Social Media Plan for Your Business in 5 Steps: Mashable
- A Visual Tour Through the Basics of Social Media Marketing: SEOmoz
- 8-Point Approach to Building a Social Marketing Strategy: Bruce Clay, Inc