Developing and maintaining social media profiles can take time but with the right tools you can do it more efficiently and at the time of the day that suits your audience. You might want to create a social media dashboard to make your planning and implementation flow smoothly and to make your social media efforts time effective. Here are some tools that might help.
Free online tools
There are numerous free online tools available to make your social media activities easier. Check out these tools and set yourself up:
- Buffer: This tool makes it super easy to share any page you’re reading via your social media platforms. Just keep your ‘buffer’ topped up for each social media platform you choose and Buffer will automatically share posts for you throughout the day at the times you select.
- Google Alerts: Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results, for example websites, news, videos, etc, which mention your search queries (as set by you)
- Google Reader: This is a tool which aggregates content and allows you to follow multiple websites and blogs from the one place.
- HootSuite: Is a social media dashboard that helps you to effectively manage your social media profiles. Through HootSuite you are able to view multiple social network feeds and pages, and post status updates to a number of them from the one location. This eliminates the time you would have to take to log into each social media platform.
- Various apps are also available for download on your smart phone and iPad, for example, Facebook Pages allows you to monitor your Facebook page and also access insights, upload photos, post and respond to fans.
Further reading and useful websites
If you want to know about a particular element of a social media platform or have a question about how to do something the best idea is to do a Google search.
The websites below also provide good quality and reliable information on social media – you can subscribe to their newsletters, RSS feeds, follow them on Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms:
- Social Mediology
- Social Media Today
- Social Media Examiner
- Social Media for Radio
- Community Media Training Organisation