Option 3 offers customised templates for use with a Drupal content management system (CMS)
Drupal is free and open source software. Free and open source means that the software has been created in collaboration by a community of peers and is freely available for use and remains a resource that is open for continued input and development.
Drupal offers two solutions for downloading and installing the CMS
Drupal provides a list of web hosting companies that offer an easy download and one-click installation of the Drupal content management system. Visit the Drupal hosting page to source a web host that can assist in downloading and installing Drupal. This solution requires no technical skill and is recommended for users with no experience in installing and configuring software.
Drupal provides a few do-it-yourself installation options based on skill level. An Installation Guide to downloading and installing the Drupal content management system offers step by step instructions for alternative installation methods but technical skill is required. The Installation Guide outlines the system requirements for installing Drupal and should be referred to before proceeding. This solution is only recommended for users with experience in installing and configuring software.
Consider the range of skills and expertise you have before selecting
Click on the Drupal hosting page and defer to a suitable web host for a simple download and install option. Or click on the Installation Guide and refer to the right side panel to follow instructions for a skill-required option.
After you have downloaded and installed Drupal, select one of the templates offered in the Drupal range provided in this resource and embed the template as per the Drupal or web host instructions.
Use the formatting tools to arrange the content and customise the templates to personalise your web site. Consider the tips given in the design, development and content section.
- templates customised for community radio
- friendly design and navigation features
- customised accessibility features
- easy install option (solution 1)
- easy web hosting option (solution 1)
- can stream music
- can hold podcasts
- new content can be viewed by the contributor before publication on the website
- has permission settings that share and restrict content for editing
- technical skill required (solution 2)
- further customisation of these templates is limited to formatting without knowledge of computing languages
- periodic upgrades of the Drupal CMS requires technical skill
- more suited to the technical savvy
Refer to http://drupal.org/ for important information on Drupal and your site
Return to OPTIONS for alternative solutions to building your station’s website.