To get your website up and running you will need to
- choose and register your domain name
- source a specialised service provider to host your web
- consider the design, development, and content of your web
Choosing your domain name
Your domain name is your online (URL) address. Your online address will direct users to your site. Ideally, it will contain the name of your station and thereby optimise the flow of traffic to your website.
Your domain name might look something like this
Registering your domain name
To register your domain name you need to select a domain name registrar. Registrars can be sourced on the internet. The cost of registration varies but all registrars will allow you to search your selected domain name to prevent you from registering a name already in use.
In addition to registering your domain name, you will have to list it in the domain name system (DNS). Your registrar may do this for you. If not, you can list your domain name by sourcing a third party DNS host from the internet, or you can choose a web host service provider (see below) that will register your domain name and list it for you.
Selecting a web host
A web host is a service provider that connects your website to a server. Your site needs to be connected to a specialised server so that it can be available for 24 hr access by users. Your radio station’s own internet service provider (ISP) may offer a web hosting service, or a specialist web hosting service can be sourced on the internet.
What to consider when selecting a web host
- a Linux Operating System (OS)
- Apache HTTP web server software
- a MySQL management system database
- PHP programming language
In addition you might want to consider
- the capacity of the server to meet your station’s needs
- a service level agreement that specifies the ‘uptime‘ or amount of time your website will be available for use
- security and protection of your website
- 24hr support
- domain name registration
- domain name system (DNS) listing
- register your domain name
- source a web host service provider